Thursday, May 19, 2011

New Zealand 1: Getting There

In November 2010, with a 3 and a half year old, a 2 year old and an almost 2 month old, John and I decided to trek across the world to Dunedin, New Zealand. We got passports for our babies and set off on an adventure to visit our dear friends Marisa and Jeremy. I met John at Charlotte Airport with the girls and all of our stuff. He was just getting off of work and was somewhere in the airport as I was unloading our van on the curb: carseats, stroller, suitcases, diaper bag, backpacks, and children. I noticed some rather panicked stares as I put everything on the curb, including the children, and I was the only adult present. Is this lady going to leave her babies here and go park the car?! John showed up just in time, he parked the car and with the help of sympathetic onlookers, the kids and I trudged through security. John showed up at the gate and we made our flight. We flew from Charlotte to San Francisco, then to Auckland and finally to Dunedin. The kids did really well on all the flights. (better than in the car) Jane nursed and slept, Rachel observed and Genevieve was a two year old. As long as John and I stayed awake, the kids were fed, entertained, and they even slept. 20 plus hours later, we arrived. A little bewildered and running off of adrenaline, John and I decided to just drive to Marisa and Jeremy's house in our rental car to surprise them at their door. They knew we were coming, just not the exact hour. It would have worked, except it takes us one quarter to half of AN HOUR to get out of a car. They came out to meet us in the street. Hurrah!!!

Rachel and Genevieve with their earphones. (12 hour flight from San Fransisco to Auckland) John used a pair of Jane's pants to help Genevieve's headset stay on. They only lasted 10 minutes watching a movie. They were pretty excited at first to have their own little screen.

Jane asleep in the bassinet that fastened to the bulk-head wall on Air New Zealand

The bassinet over our seats. John helping the girls with a meal.

New Zealand! Genevieve walking through Auckland Airport with her back-pack-o-fun and of course, her baby. They have one more flight to go.

John sights land! Flying into New Zealand's south island, this is our first glimpse of the terrain.

We made our destination!
John, Jane, Genevieve, Rachel, Marisa and Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment